Wedmore Tennis Club is a community based not-for-profit club committed to making tennis available to all ages, abilities, and social groups in and around the Wedmore area. We aim to maintain a competitive level of play in singles and doubles whilst also providing a social ‘turn up and play’ atmosphere all year round. The club places great emphasis on junior tennis, enabling players to develop their full potential through a performance coaching route.
"Keeping fit? Much cheaper and more fun than gym membership and in the fresh air too - a bargain!" - Alison
"A club that provides opportunity for all standards of tennis, friendship, tournaments, league matches, social activities. In fact all you could wish for from a village amenity." - Shirley
"Wedmore tennis club has given me an opportunity to meet local people, play fun and competitive tennis and of course keep fit." - Michael
History of Wedmore Tennis Club
Wedmore Tennis Club originally started in 1905-6 in a field near the present Village Hall. In 1911 it moved to its present location on the Sports Field land that was left to the village by one Miss White. Two ‘wired-in’ grass courts were built in the south-east corner of the field at right-angles to the present courts. The field was used for Cricket, Tennis, Hockey and Football, and then a Bowls green was made in 1919 above the two grass courts.
Two hard courts were first laid in the present direction in approximately 1967, with the clubhouse being a small open wooden hut standing facing the village in the present car park. Later a bigger secure clubhouse was erected, and this was moved to its present position, and enlarged in the 1980s. A third court was laid at about the same time, and floodlights erected on two of the courts. When these courts were re-surfaced floodlights were fitted on all courts. Wedmore was the first club in the area to have floodlights, and these were updated in 2004 to a very high standard.
Superb synthetic grass was laid on the courts in 2008 to give a popular more modern surface.